Friday, February 22, 2013

The Homeschool Mother's Journal/Weekly Wrap-Up


In my life this week.....Wow! Monday I woke up to a shock. I got my morning cup of coffee and checked my emails before the kids got up. The first news article I saw was about Pope Benedict XVI resigning.

pope-benedict-xvi-0202
I honestly thought some new reporter had gotten his wires crossed and reported inaccurate information. After reading several articles online and watching the news, reality set in. It was true. I was shocked at first and a little scared about what this meant for us.  After I had more time to think, I realized I didn't need to worry because God was still in control. I had noticed he had started to look tired and older in the past few years. After faithfully serving us for eight years, he deserves a rest. I wish Pope Benedict a wonderful retirement. I hope he can spend his remaining years in prayer.

Wednesday was Ash Wednesday the start of Lent. We started the morning with an extra prayer, headed out to violin and were heading to Mass only to realize we had the wrong time. Mass had been going on for 30 minutes when we got there. We were in the next town over and were attempting to head to their Mass since were had already missed our church's Mass because of violin  I didn't know what to do. Do you walk into Mass 30 minutes late? Isn't that considered big faux pas? I decided not to walk in. I didn't want to walk in and disrupt Mass. I have never messed up the time so much and really had no clue what the proper choice would be.  I didn't want to look like some type of hypocrite arriving at Mass just to get my ashes. I know it bothers me when people leave Mass right after receiving the Holy Eucharist. You can't wait 15 more minutes!  So the kids and I ended up heading for home minus our ashes. We said a few extra prayers after getting home.

Thursday was Valentine's Day. We didn't do anything special here. The kids did get cards and some chocolate. We went to dinner as a family to celebrate this day of love.

Friday, we went hiking at a local state park. We took the dog and he is wiped out.

In our homeschool this week....our Catholic co-op started back after 2 months off. The kids dissected a fish. Yuck! This is one of the reasons I love co-op. They can do yucky, smelly experiments but not in my house. Tuesday, we attended a local class at a museum. The class was talking about George Washington in honor of his upcoming birthday. The played old-fashioned games and practiced writing with a quill pen.

DSC00316

DSC00318

Wednesday was library day and violin lessons. We checked out about every book on Ancient Greece! I have some great ideas for our upcoming lessons. I am really going to try to post more about our lessons and activities. Thursday was catch up day. We are a little behind in our lessons so I was trying get some more lessons done. We are still behind but it will all work out! Friday school was held outside since we were taking a nature hike. Lego Man found 2 owl pellets and even poked around in them and saw some tiny rodent bones. Of course, I forgot to take pictures.

What I am reading.....nothing this week. I am too busy trying to catch up with cleaning.

What the kids are reading.....Ancient Greek myths. Our library had a wonderful collection of story books about the ancient Greek myths...Hercules, Theseus and the Minotaur, Pegasus, and Cyclops.

What I am working on....Princess P makes her first Communion this year, so I am coming up with a dress for her. We have finally narrowed down the style and look she wants. I have calculated the fabric and trim I need and now I just have to go get the fabric and start sewing. She found my old bridal veil and loved it so I am going to make her one very similar. She is so excited!

What are the kids working on.....cleaning their rooms and both have been building creations with their Lego's. Princess P loves her  Lego Friends. She just got this set as a gift and built it all by herself.


She normally asks her big brother for help, but not this time.

What I am praying for....Pope Benedict XVI and his retirement. I am praying for my Catholic family. I pray that God sends us the Pope who will be able to defend us in battle and help our faith grow.



Linking up with......The Homeschool Mother's Journal7 Quick TakesLearn and LiveFriendship FridayWeekly Wrap-Up, and It's a Wrap.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Instagram