Thursday, February 22, 2018

Review~ UltraKey Online from Bytes of Learning



Are your kids snails when typing? Mine sure are. As the kids have gotten older, typing has become more important. As they write more and more papers, the last thing they need to do is to spend hours typing. Recently, the kids and I received a chance to review the UltraKey Online Family Subscription from Bytes of Learning.
UltraKey Bytes of Learning
Bytes of Learning is an online company that offers students of all ages instructions for learning to type. Their goal is to provide students with multi-media software tools and supportive materials to help them learn how to be a phenomenal typist. Having stronger typing skills allows students to become stronger students. Computers are here to stay and our kids are going to have to know how to type better than we had to back in the day.

UltraKey Online Family Edition
For this review, we received a one year subscription for the UltraKey Online Family Subscription. Subscribers can choose between 3 different plans for the family subscription.
3 Users~ $29.95
5 Users~ $39.95
8 Users~ $49.95
The UltraKey Online Family Subscription provides students with clear, prices, easy to understand instructions. The online typing program offers students videos to watch and colorful animation. The program is rated and geared for students ages 8 and up. Each student will take a placement test to see where they fall. From the placement test results, students are then given their goals to works towards. The lessons and instructions are voice supported. There are even some fun games to play to help with your typing skills.


The parent account is free and allows parents (or the tutor) to manage the students. This management pages allows parents to set up accounts for their students, manage their personal goals, track their progress, create reports for the students, and even print off certificates!
It's compatible for Windows, Mac, Chromebooks, and iPads.
UltraKey Online Family Edition


How We Used UltraKey Online Family Subscription?

I had every intention of doing this course together as a class. The kids and I were going to sit down everyday and work through the lesson. Sadly, we realized rather quickly that this was not how it was going to happen. Since we have satellite internet, our connection was a little too slow for all of us to be on at the same time. All our computers loaded at different rates, froze at different spots, and would stop loading at different sections of the lesson. Needless to say this was extremely frustrating to all of us. For example, the lesson would say click on the button to move forward and their would be no button. I will say that my daughter had the best luck with the buttons appearing. Here buttons would appear so she knew what to click. However her graphics would only half load. 



So when the idea of working together as a class was no longer an option, I decided to have us work through the program one at a time. This has slowed down our progress just a little. I'm thankful that we have this subscription for one year. I decided to go first since I knew I needed to know more about the program to help Michael and Therese. I was also the one that had to write this review.

I've come up with the idea of having the kids take their laptops to the library with their earbuds to see if they could work on a few lesson each week.

So here are few things I've discovered.......


Pros:
*lessons are explained exceptionally well
*colorful images and grpahics
*videos are simple and easy to understand
*fun games provide practice your new skills
Cons:
*pages didn't completely load and would freeze
*pictures and images would be partially displayed
*lessons took longer than expected 
*subscribers definitely need a faster speed Internet (I wouldn't recommend if you have satellite internet) 


What Did We Think of the UltraKey Online Family Subscription?
Overall, I'd have to say I was impressed with the program. The videos were well done and the graphics were colorful and engaging. The instructions were clearly explained and were easy for students to understand. I learned quite a few new things. Some of the suggestions were hard for me to follow. I definitely do not sit in the proper typing position. I'll admit, I didn't change my positioning after the lesson. It just didn't feel right to me. I guess 30+ years of typing this way makes it awkward to me. What's that old saying? You can't teach an old dog new tricks! I can't believe I just admitted I old. However even with my resistance to the proper sitting I did stress it to my children. I was one of those moms guilty of letting them lounge on the couch to type their papers. 
I really wish we had high speed internet. I think the program would have been a lot easier for us to stay on top of. I look forward to seeing Michael's and Therese's progress once they complete the course.
I come back and let you know how it goes!
Discover more about this online typing program!
Bytes of learning Website
Facebook
Be sure to click below to see what the other crew members had to say about the UltraKey Online Family Subscription from Bytes of Learning.


UltraKey {Bytes of Learning Reviews}
Till Next Time,
Monique


Crew Disclaimer

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Instagram