Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Review~ Math Refresher for Adults from Math Essentials



Mountain of Grace Homeschooling Review



Are your children getting older? Do you worry how you'll teach the higher grades? Does math scare you? Well if you've said yes to these questions, I have the answer for you. 
Let me introduce you to....Math Refresher for Adults from Math Essentials. It's a new book that helps parents teach the higher level math courses! Let's be honest, for many of us math class was quite a few years ago. We may have forgotten a few concepts over the years. I know I have!



High School Math Help


Math Essentials provides homeschoolers with  strong math curriculum from award winning author Richard W. Fisher. They offer math books that cover basic math concepts for 4th/5th graders, basic concepts for middle/high school students, Pre-Algebra, Algebra 1, Geometry, Fractions, Decimals, Problem Solving, and a math survival book. The titles can be purchased separately or they offer fantastic deals on book bundles! They truly have a book for all the different math skills students will need to know. I know I'm already looking at the Geometry book. The fraction and decimal books look great too. Concept review is always important! 


Higher Math Help

For this review, we received a physical copy of the book Math Refresher for Adults. The book currently costs $28.95. The price is subject to change so please check the website for the most up-to-date price. 

The book covers general math, problem solving skills, geometry, pre- algebra, and algebra. It covers every subject a parent or student would need to know.

General Math
Whole Numbers
Fractions
Decimals
Percents
Geometry
Integers
Charts and Graphs
Word Problems

Pre-Algebra and Algebra
Sets and Integers
Positive and Negative Fractions 
Positive and Negative Decimals
Exponents and Square Roots
Order of Operations
Properties of Numbers
Scientific Notation
Rations, Proportions, Percents
Number Theory
Number Lines
Coordinate Systems
Slope
Equations
Algebraic Word Probems
Probability and Statistics 


The book is set up like a workbook, but the author recommends copying the problems onto a piece of paper or in a notebook. He believes that copying down a problem and then solving helps in understanding the problem and in the accuracy of solving it. I know I've found that when my kids copy the problems down they tend to focus more. Copying down the problems also allows the book to be used by multiple people.  Even though Math Refresher for Adults is geared for adults, high school students could easily work through it to help maintain their math skills. It would be a great tool for students heading off to college.

How Does Math Refresher for Adults work?

Most lessons are just one page. A few of the lessons are 2 pages long. The lessons are easy to understand. They can be done in very little time. Each lesson is broken up into sections. The first section is the review exercises. The review exercises are important for retaining what has been learned. This section usually has 2-4 problems. 
Following the review sections, students will find the new lesson. Each lesson contains two sample problems. It's extremely important to work through the two sample problems and check your answers in the back of the book. Once these to problems have been done, it's now time to more on to the rest of the problems. Helpful hints are included in each lesson. These are basically "reminders" on how to work through the problems. This is helpful just in case you might have forgotten how to solve the problems. Once the problems have been completed check your answers. A score of 80% is considered passing. If you didn't pass, you can go online and check out the free video tutorials. A code is included in the book. These are great videos. Michael and I have watched quite a few of the videos since he is currently working through the No-Nonsense Algebra from Math Essentials.

Included at the back of the book is the very important answer key, a glossary of math terms, a few pages with important symbols and tables used in math.

What Did I Think of Math Refresher for Adults?

It's another fantastic math resource from Math Essential. The lesson are simple, easy to understand, and definitely help students understand math! There are no tedious explanations that confuse students. There are no drawn out explanations that teach students to go through 20 steps instead of solving the problem in 3 simple steps.  I love that the lesson can easily been done in 20-30 minutes. The table of contents allows parents and students to quickly look up a topic they may have questions about. All I had to do was flip the book to the correct page, read, work through the problems, and check my answers. I love the confidence it gave me. I knew I could easily follow along and help Michael when he got to an area in math that he might not understand. I was a pretty good students in math, so most of what I read was a little boost to my memory. The only area I haven't dug into was the geometry section. Since I struggles there in high school, I know I will rely on this book and the videos for teaching Michael. Who knows maybe I'll finally understand geometry...I won't hold my breath though.



This is the second product we have reviewed for Math Essentials. Last year, we reviewed 
No-Nonsense Algebra from Math Essentials. It was fantastic. I currently have Michael working through the book this summer to strengthen his Algebra skills. He officially starts high school next year and I want him to have a strong understanding of Algebra 1.


Find out more about Math Refresher for Adults from the other crew members who reviewed it!
Click on the link below....




Till Next Time,
Monique






Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Instagram