Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Even homeschoolers get sick days......

While the kids and I are fighting this horrible flu, we have taken  a few days off of "real" school.
So we stayed in  pj's all day, watched some TV, ate homemade gluten free chicken noodle soup (which was rather yummy for my first soup), and played a few games to pass the day away.
Of course we napped too. Rest is what will make us better.

So how did we do school?
Well, we skipped the formal lesson and had fun.

We watched a wonderful documentary about the Mountain Lion.


It was following a few female Mountain Lions to monitor their young. Over the past few years, they have noticed a decline in cubs surviving. It seems that the increase in bears and wolves in the area are killing the cubs. I feel bad for those poor mamas.

After our educational TV viewing, I did two loads of laundry and the dishes. I was rather proud of myself. Of course after all that work, I was tired. I did start our soup. I would love to share the recipe, but I just used a little but of this and a little bit of that. I am hoping I can duplicate it again and actual write the recipe down. I do know we used duck shaped gluten free pasta.



The kids thought it was normal pasta. I consider that a win for mama.

Once we finished lunch, we played a few games. The first game we played was Sequence States and Capitals.

This was a new game for us. I picked it up at our local thrift store for $3! I just love a bargain. I had the kids read their cards with the capital on it and then say the state it belonged to. This is a great game to help kids learn their states and capitals. I was surprised how well Lego Man knew his states and capitals. Fun while learning is always a good thing!

Our second game was Zooreka from Cranium. This has been a favorite of ours for a few years now.

This was purchased at Target a few years ago during their big toy clearance after the holidays. I think I payed less than $10 for it and I will say we have gotten our moneys worth. 
In this game, you work on building a zoo. If you have animal lovers, it's a fun game to play. It works kids counting skills and their trading skills. They have to have so many pieces of food, animals, and shelter to build a habitat. This provides good thinking skills. Princess P stocked piled her pieces until she had enough to buy all of her habitats. Even with 101 temp, she still won!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Instagram