Saturday, February 22, 2014

DIY~ Comfy Chair for American Girl Dolls

While Princess P was sick with the flu, I decided to do a fun project with once she started feeling a little better. We made a comfy chair for her dolls.



Supplies Needed
small wooden box
fabric
foam
stuffing
glue
needle and thread
sewing machine

I have been saving a wooden box that our clementines came in just for this project.


Princess P had to decided which dolls she wanted the chair for.... a historical doll or one of her modern dolls. She decided to go with the modern dolls. She picked out two fabrics, a pink and a green one. We measured out the fabric so it would cover the box.


We cut out a piece of foam to cover the top of the box.


I fold the fabric over the box and glued with a fabric glue.




I did the two longest sides first and then worked on the shorter sides.


I folded in the sides to form a clean edge. I then folded down the fabric and glued it in place.

I pressed down firmly to get a clean  fold.


I used clips to keep the fabric in place while the glue dried.




While chair dried, we worked on the pillows. I cut a rectangle a little bigger than the box to allow for seam allowance. Princess P sewed up the sides. We then stuffed the pillow with stuffing and hand stitched the pillows closed.





Once the bottom part of the chair was done, our mama cat immediately climbed on top for a nap.


Our finished chair had a back pillow and two small accent pillows.



It was an easy project to do and I had fun working with my daughter. She loved the chair and couldn't wait to play with it!






21 comments:

  1. Wow! Awesome! Simple, easy, cheap...fun. My girls will love these! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love trying to make things that are functional but simple and cheap to make.

      Delete
  2. I hope Princess P is feeling better! This looks like a not-too-hard-too-make chair - makes me wish my little girl was into dolls! lol! (Looks like the cat enjoyed it too!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your well wishes. The chair is very easy to make and the cat has been sitting in more than the dolls.

      Delete
  3. WOW, that is so incredible.
    You are my daughters fav person right now, she is sittng beside me and saw it and now she wants one too :)

    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. I hope you get to have fun making one with your daughter.

      Delete
  4. What a cute project. I'm not crafty at all, but this looks pretty easy.And it is so cute that the kitty loved it too!

    I'm stopping by from BYB.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very easy. I'm sure you could do it. The kitty definitely loves it.

      Delete
  5. I have one who LOVES her American Girl doll. I know she would love this chair for her. I might have to try this since it doesn't look too terribly complicated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter is a huge American Girl doll fan. She enjoys playing with and loves all the accessories they have. I like trying to come up with ways to recreate them a lot cheaper.

      Delete
  6. This is totally something that my girls would put together! Looks fun! I'm sure your daughter loved doing it with you.

    Visiting from BYB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter loves it. I'm sure your daughters would enjoy making them. It easy and fun!

      Delete
  7. Looks like the cat might enjoy this as well as the dolls! What a great bonding project for you and your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The really enjoys it. She has sat on it more then the doll. Our dog loves to steal the pillows too. It seems live the whole house likes the chair.

      Delete
  8. What a great, simple, absolutely sweet idea!

    I'm pretty sure my cousin's girls, who live across the street, would love to do this one day when they are here with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be a fun rainy day craft to do with them. I'm sure they would love to do it with you!

      Delete
  9. They do look comfy! Thanks for sharing! #BB100

    ReplyDelete
  10. So cute! Something for my little girl someday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! If your little girls are girly like my daughter, I'm sure they would love to make this when they get older.

      Delete
  11. Wow nice! What a great use of those clementine crates!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Instagram