Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Our Patron Saint of the Year

As the new church year gets under way, we are preparing for the coming of the Baby Jesus.
For the past 3 years, we have picked a patron saint to help us throughout the year. 
This year our Patron Saint is

Saint Benno of Meissen


Feast Day June 16
Patron Saint of fishermen, anglers, weavers, and the city of Munich, Germany


Saint Benno was a bishop from Germany. During his time as Bishop, he never lost sight of his works as a bishop. He visited parishes, preached and conducted Mass, and encouraged discipline in his clergy. 
He loved music and was an accomplished muscian. He encourage music and chant in the churches and the monasteries. He wrote on the 4 Gospels. He even served as a missionary in his later years.
Some believe he lived to the old age of 100!
He was canonized by Pope Adrian VI in 1523.

When I first received this saint I was a little confused at first. I didn't remember hearing of him before and I honestly didn't understand why the patron saint of fishermen would pertain to me. After reading more about him online, I realized that I did know about. When I was in college, I studied abroad and visited the city of Munich, Germany were his remains are now located. 

I was in the Saint Benno church!


Here are the bells of Saint Benno! They are just beautiful.


                           


To find our Patron Saints we used the Saint Generator from Jennifer over at Conversion Diary.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Instagram