Friday, September 25, 2015

Classically Catholic Memory Delta Year



It's hard to believe that we are heading into our fourth year of our journey with Classically Catholic Memory. Four years have gone by so fast. I have seen my kids grown from children to the young lady and young gentleman that they are today. It's truly amazing how much kids change throughout the years. They really do grow up rather quickly.

When we started out on this journey, I had never heard of CCM until I joined the Schola Rosa homeschool co-op. I joined the co-op for a sense of community and so my kids could be around children of the same faith. I loved how the co-op was so focused on our Catholic faith. Our first year, we did CCM as a extra bonus. I had already planned out our curriculum for that year, so we just did it CCM at co-op and the kids did the homework that was assigned.

It wasn't unit year two, Beta year, that we really started to follow CCM. I used CCM as a core spine and added lots of stuff to it. I love how it gives you a good solid outline that can be built upon. I especially love how the history goes in chronological order. It makes much more sense for kids to learn history that way. We did CCM at home and at co-op this year. It was great!

Last year, we did Gamma year. At that point, we were at the top of the age range. I had a 6th grader and a 4th grader. The songs and the timeline motions were not very appealing to them. We all remember what it was like to be a preteen and be self conscience of what others were thinking. At co-op we excused the older kids, 5th grade and up from the timeline motions. At home, I tried to dig deeper for kids.

This year, we are doing Delta year on our own. Sadly, our co-op has ended for various reason. After completing the first 3 years, I really wanted to finish the program. Michael and Therese were both excited to be learning more about American history and they were thrilled to be learning about plants and the human body. This year, we are using CCM as our outline again and have a lot of extra to it.

We are doing things a little different this year. We are not doing the timeline and we are using our Chant Cd for the Latin prayers. I love the maps, so we will be doing them again. Science is pretty straight forward. We will use the weekly prompts and I'll just add more to it each week. History is were we will be varying a lot. We will be working through the history section a lot slower. The kids really want to learn about the Native Americans, Westward Expansion, the Gold Rush, and the Civil War. We will be spending a lot more time on these subjects. We will eventually get to the World Wars, the Great Depression, etc. I just haven't decided if we will spend the summer going through the other topics or will we just do it next year. Only time will tell.

I will be sharing our journey again this year. I'll be blogging about the weeks a little differently. My plan this year is to do a post for each subject for each week. I think it'll be easier for people to find what they are looking for.

Have questions? Please feel free to contact me. Looking for more extra, I have files on my computer filled with ideas. Just ask and maybe I can help.
                                    photo 19dbef6b-9cdb-4ef9-a1fc-d1f09c1d51b7.png
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Instagram