Monday, September 14, 2015

Classically Catholic Memory~ Gamma Year Week 14

Geography~




As usual, the kids labeled the map on the first day of the week. They found rivers and mountain ranges on the map. I love having giant maps on our school room walls to help show them where things are! The following days, we reviewed the map and worked on labeling paper maps that I have printed out. For the second week of map work, I flip over the CCM map and have the kids provide the names of the places as I point at them. To end our two week study of  Canada, I give the kids a test to see what they have learned!

Outline Map of Canada I used with my kids.


Latin~
Anima Christi or Soul of Christ
We are still working through this beautiful prayer.
You can see Week 10 and Week 11 for more ideas.


Religion~


" You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all you mind." 

This is one of my favorite bible verses for kids. I think it just states what we need to do so clearly for little ones.

I did find one coloring page that can work with this bible verse, it does say heart, soul, and might (instead of mind), but I think it will still help kids see what is important.

I did find this cute little song, sung to Row, Row, Row Your Boat about loving God.

I did find two lessons online that helped talk about loving God and loving others.
Lesson 1
Lesson 2

* This are not Catholic sites, but the lesson can easily be made be adapted.

For my kids, since they are older, we dug deeper into what the verse means and how we can live out this commandment from Jesus. As kids get older, it can be difficult to be nice to others when they our not nice to us. We live in a world where kids bully others and talk behind their backs. I think these 2 bible verses are a wonderful way to get kids to see how we should treat others.
We should always look at the person next to us as if they were Jesus himself.

I didn't do a craft with my kids this week, but I'm sure if you google it you will find tons of crafts you can do!


Great Words~
The Declaration of Independence
For the next weeks, the kids will be working through the rest of the Declaration. If you need ideas, please check out my posts for Week 10 and Week 11.

History~



The Constitution and the Bill of Rights
First off, I have to be honest. This is a subject I am not that great it. I know the basics, but if you asked me to put it all in order, I would have a hard time. One of the nice things about homeschooling is that we are learning too. Learning never stops!
So we immediately headed to the library to check out some books.

                                     

After reading through he various books, we worked on a few lap book pages.
I found ideas here.
After our study I did find an amazing lap book at Teachers Pay Teachers. I wish I would have found it sooner. We may end up using it for a recap.
Don't do lap books, well I found some notebooking pages for the kids to use over at Homeschool Helper Online.

A fun idea to bring the constitution to life is have the kids create their own constitution. You can find old looking paper or dye paper with tea bags. After the paper dries, they can have them write out a little of the constitution out with a quill and ink. My kids did this a few years ago on George Washington's birthday and they had fun. It's a lot harder than it looks!


Science~
Light!
This week, the kids learned about light and the 3 ways it can interact with matter.
We did a few experiments from the book after I talked about light.
We did use a prism (bought at Hobby Lobby) to see how light reflects through it. The cats had fun chasing the rainbow around the floor!

For us, we read the chapter on light in out Real Science 4 Kids Physics book. They learned about light waves, light reflection, and how light passes through objects.
I did find 2 worksheets for the kids.
Light and Reflection
Light through an Object



Math~
We learned the math term and then I had the kids do a worksheet to put the math into practice.
When teaching math and trying to explain the math terms, I found their I times I need help. It's funny, how we just know how to do something and it makes sense to us but when we go to explain it, the explanation comes outs all jumbled up. There are plenty of times, I explained and I get that look like I am talking like the teacher from a Charlie Brown special. One resource that I have found to help is the book, called Math Dictionary for Kids. It's geared for kids in the 4th-9th grade.



This book has been a life saver for me. I don't have a problem doing math, but I just couldn't explain it well enough for Therese. Michael uses the book on his own. If he reads his chapter and has a question, he just reaches for this and off he goes. Highly recommend it.




Till next time,
~Monique


Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Instagram