Thursday, November 7, 2013

Farewell, My Friend



“People are born so that they learn how to live a good life – like loving 
everybody all the time and being nice, right?” The four year old continued, “Well, dogs 
already know how to do that, so they don’t have to stay as long.” 
~author unknown~


2007-2013

This Wednesday, we said goodbye to our dear sweet dog. 
Our day started out like any other. Breakfast, school, and then we started cleaning the house. While we were cleaning, our furry friend got out of our yard. He is normally fenced in our backyard, but does occasionally get out. This isn't a huge deal since we live out in the country on a dirt gravel road. We only have one other house on our road. He hung out with the kids while they played and then was lying in the yard while we had dinner. As night fell, I thought it was a little odd he hadn't returned for dinner, but he had stayed out all night before. We were having a beautiful day here.
Then life changed. 
Our neighbor knocked on our door. She had hit our dog.
I headed out to the road and knew instantly that he was gone. He wasn't moving. I called his name, no movement. I knelt down and felt his side. He wasn't breathing. In my mind, I was begging God to not take him. I sat there and became to wonder how do I tell my children their dog is dead.
This was the hardest thing I have ever had to do as a parent.



It's so hard as a parent to not be able to fix things. When they are little and fall down, you can kiss their boo-boos and make it all better.
How do you heal a tiny heart that is breaking into pieces?
You can't.
I learned yesterday that as a parent I can't protect them from the hurt in this world. I knew I couldn't deep down, but so far I had. It was a devastating lesson to learn.
I felt helpless. I asked God for guidance and help. 




I watched my children say their goodbyes. 
We prayed the Saint Francis prayer for sick animals for him.

Heavenly Father, 
you created all things for your glory,
and made us stewards of this creature.
Please watch over him.
Blessed are you, Lord God,
and holy is thy name for ever and ever.

I sat with my children as they cried themselves to sleep knowing there was nothing I could do to make the hurt go away. Only time will heal.

They decided that Saint Francis needed a good sheep dog in Heaven and that is why God called him home. Do dogs go to Heaven? 
I don't know, but I believe they do. 
They become a big part of our lives and are loved so much that I can't see God excluding them. 
If it helps my children sleep at night to think he is romping around in heaven with Jesus and Saint Francis than I am willing to believe he is in Heaven.



Don't grieve too long for me I'm free. I'm following the path God set for me.
I ran to Him when I heard His call, I wagged my tail and left it all.
I could not stay another day, to bark, to love, to romp or play.
Games left un-played must stay that way. I found such peace it made my day.
My parting has left you with a void, so fill it with your remembered joy.
A friendship shared, your laugh, a kiss; oh yes, these things I too shall miss.
Be not burdened with times of sorrow, I wish you the sunshine of tomorrow.
My life's been full, you've given so much~ your time, your love, and gentle touch.
Perhaps my time seemed all too brief, don't lengthen it now with undue grief.
Lift up your heart and share with me. God wanted me now, He set me free.
~author unknown~


2 comments:

  1. Beautiful.

    Hugs to all of you and your kids. I'm sure this is so hard....What a cutie. I love how your kids feel St Francis called him home.
    Take care

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Instagram