Friday, February 22, 2013

The Homeschool Mother's Journal/Weekly Wrap-Up


In our life this week....On Sunday, we attended Mass and CCD. In my first grade CCD class, we talked about how Jesus showed us God's love. You can check out my lesson plans here. We didn't have much planned for the rest of the week. We did make a wonderful chocolate cream pie to go along with our Pennsylvania state study. You can find the recipe here. I did attend a quick meeting to finish planning the rest of our events for our Catholic home school group. The ladies ate and planned the remaining events while the kids hung out in the chick fil a play area. We used plenty of hand sanitizer afterwards to keep the germs at bay.

In our homeschool this week...... What a fun week we had. Easy and stress free just what every home school mama prays for. Monday we had an easy day. We did get up a little late, so school started later than normal. The kids completed their picture of Moses and the 10 Plagues.
122

123

124

Tuesday, we ended our day early so we could go outside and enjoy the 70 degree weather we were experiencing this week.
kids3

Wednesday, we skipped school and headed to violin and my co-op meeting. Field trip to Chick fil a! It started to pour while we were there, so I prayed that the road wouldn't be flooded by the time we got home. Thankfully it wasn't. Thursday, we said goodbye to the warm weather and a cold windy day greeted us. We even had a few snow flurries. We finished up our Pennsylvania lap book and the kids created their Liberty Bell replicas. It was a little harder than I thought it would be. I'll post the lap book information next week. Our next state is New Jersey. Friday we worked on our owl lap book and added more about owls into our nature journal. I made a few lap book templates that I plan on sharing once we get the lap book completed.

What we are reading aloud.....We finished up The Family Under the Bridge by Natalie Savage Carlson.



The last day, the kids asked to read two extra chapters. They couldn't wait to see what happened to the family under the bridge. After we finished the story, we looked at my old pictures of Paris from when I went in college. My previous life before kids. I also showed them some pictures from another blog. The blog Amazing Places To See has such beautiful pictures. Here are the ones of Paris. Check out the other beautiful pictures on the site.

What the kids are reading.....Lego Man finished the second book in the Diary of  a Wimpy Kid series, so now he has to read something of quality. He started reading White Fang by Jack London.

He has already researched where the Yukon Territory is and where the Mackenzie River is located.

Princess P is reading a collection of books about a Border Collie dog by Kim Lewis.

         

We have a special love for Border Collies in our house.

dog

What I am reading...... Taming the Wind by Tracie Peterson and The Paleo Solution: The Original Human Diet by Robb Wolf.

   


What I am working on...... I am researching ideas for next year's school lesson. Locating books online and at the library. Seeing where I can save money and trying to figure out how much I will need for books. I am going through the kids summer clothes from last year. We have had a big growth spurt this year. It doesn't look like too much will be fitting.

Homeschooling advice I have...... Don't compare your kids to other kids. All kids are different. Books or lessons that work for one family may not work for your family. Be willing to take advice but know what works for your children. Learn what type of learner your child is. and go from there. This is our fifth year homeschooling and we have gone through all types of programs and materials. We have found materials that have worked for us and ditched the materials that have not. I love the ability to switch things up. Be flexible and have fun!

Linking up with The Homeschool Mother's Journal7 Quick TakesLearn and LinkFriendship Friday, and Weekly Wrap-Up

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Instagram